Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) has taken out the Tissot-Superpole ahead of tomorrow’s two WSBK races at the Laguna Seca circuit in California.
Superpole 1 saw Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) and Niccolo Canepa (Althea Racing Ducati) progress to join the already seeded top ten riders after the combined three practice sessions yesterday. For the Frenchman, the first 15 minutes wasn’t without incident as the Kawasaki rider ran off track at turn 6 before gently laying his ZX-R machine down in the gravel. Luckily he was able to remount and return to the garage, eventually qualifying 8th on the grid after Superpole 2.
Christian Iddon (Team Bimota Alstare) also fell in Superpole 1. The British rider was unhurt and will be able to race tomorrow.
In the final 15 minute top 12 grid deciding session, a series of fast laps kept fans guessing as to who would emerge as the front row qualifiers. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) set the initial benchmark of 1.23.752 before being eclipsed by his team-mate Marco Melandri. The Ducati pairing of Davide Giugliano and Chaz Davies split the Aprilia duo before Guintoli reclaimed the top spot with 9 minutes to go.
At the flag it was the reigning champion who claimed Superpole with his outright circuit best lap of 1.21.811. Sylvain Guintoli and Chaz Davies (Ducati Superbike Team) secured the final front row starting positions.
Davide Giugliano (Ducati Superbike Team), Marco Melandri and Eugene Laverty (Voltcom Crescent Suzuki) will start from 4th, 5th and 6th places on the grid respectively.
Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike Team) crashed unhurt and will start 10th tomorrow.
The best classified EVO rider was Niccolo Canepa in 12th position overall, the only EVO rider to make it through to the final shootout.
Superpole qualifying results (2)
1. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 21.811s
2. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Aprilia Racing RSV4 1m 22.339s
3. Chaz Davies GBR Ducati SBK 1199 Panigale R 1m 22.384s
4. Davide Giugliano ITA Ducati SBK 1199 Panigale R 1m 22.422s
5. Marco Melandri ITA Aprilia Racing RSV4 1m 22.704s
6. Eugene Laverty IRL Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 22.725s
7. Leon Haslam GBR PATA Honda CBR1000RR 1m 23.181s
8. Loris Baz FRA Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 23.242s
9. Toni Elias ESP Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 1m 23.358s
10. Jonathan Rea GBR PATA Honda CBR1000RR 1m 23.501s
11. Alex Lowes GBR Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 23.562s
12. Niccolo Canepa ITA Althea Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1m 23.924s (E)
Grid positions determined by SP1
13. Sylvain Barrier FRA BMW Italia S1000RR 1m 23.840s (E)
14. Christian Iddon GBR Bimota Alstare BB3 1m 24.024s (E)
15. David Salom ESP Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 24.227s (E)
16. Ayrton Badovini ITA Bimota Alstare BB3 1m 24.301s (E)
17. Bryan Staring AUS IRON BRAIN Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 24.986s (E)
18. Sheridan Morais RSA IRON BRAIN Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 25.021s (E)
19. Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta RC F4RR 1m 25.157s
20. Alessandro Andreozzi ITA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 25.383s (E)
Grid positions determined after FP3
21. Jeremy Guarnoni FRA MRS Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 26.080s (E)
22. Geoff May USA Team Hero EBR 1190RX 1m 26.087s
23. Larry Pegram USA Foremost Insurance EBR 1190RX 1m 26.302s
24. Gabor Rizmayer HUN Team Toth BMW S1000RR 1m 26.506s
25. Aaron Yates USA Team Hero EBR 1190RX 1m 26.999s
26. Chris Ullrich USA GEICO Honda CBR1000RR 1m 27.169s
27. Peter Sebestyen HUN Team Toth BMW S1000RR 1m 27.226s (E)
Laguna Seca official WSBK lap records
Best lap: Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 21.811s (2014)
Race lap record: Davide Giugliano ITA Althea Aprilia RSV4 1m 23.707s (2013)