Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) has clocked another outstanding lap-time to grab his sixth consecutive Tissot-Superpole out of 7 held so far in 2013 – the 17th of his career – that brings the English rider up to fourth in the all-time pole position winners list, tied with former WSBK Champion Doug Polen.
After seeing his time deleted as it was completed under a Red Flag situation, Sykes went back on track and broke into the 1’45s by setting the new best lap for the track in 1’45.981.
The Red Flag was waved following the heavy crash by Sykes’ team-mate Loriz Baz, who fell at the downhill section leading to Turn 18 while his ZX-10R tumbled the grass, and over the air-fence, to eventually land back on track, with a good amount of oil and fuel laid down.
Tom Sykes: “That Tissot-Superpole win was down to a good call by my crew chief Marcel who said, after the red flag incident, we should use a fresh race tyre rather than the used qualifier I had wanted to go out on again. Doing that Superpole session on a race tyre has also given us good information for the races tomorrow. I am looking to put in strong results after my stupid mistake in Portimao and two strong finishes would put that memory to bed.”
Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike) has again showed a very good synergy with his CBR1000RR at Imola by finishing second ahead of an impressive Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing Aprilia), who stormed to third place in his last quick-lap attempt. Works Aprilia riders Sylvain Guintoli and Eugene Laverty finished fourth and fifth respectively, followed by Leon Camier (FIXI Crescent Suzuki), Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet) and Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare).
2011 World Superbike Champion Carlos Checa (Team Ducati Alstare) had a difficult time in Superpole, as the Spaniard crashed in the opening stages of the first session. He will move off from 13th slot on the grid in tomorrow’s races.
Championship leader Sam Lowes (Yakhnich Motosport Yamaha) has scored the 6th pole position of the season, the 11th in his World Supersport career, today at Imola. The rider from Lincoln was able to better his already competitive time to put half a second between himself and the other two front row starters for the race scheduled for tomorrow, Kenan Sofuoglu (Mahi Racing Team India Kawasaki) and team mate Vladimir Leonov.
WSBK Qualifying (2)
1. Jonathan Rea GBR Pata Honda CBR1000RR 1m 47.205s
2. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 47.218s
3. Davide Giugliano ITA Althea Aprilia RSV4 1m 47.282s
4. Michel Fabrizio ITA Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 1m 47.619s
5. Marco Melandri ITA BMW GoldBet S1000RR HP4 1m 47.658s
6. Ayrton Badovini ITA Alstare Ducati 1199 R 1m 47.674s
7. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Aprilia Racing RSV4 1m 47.878s
8. Eugene Laverty IRL Aprilia Racing RSV4 1m 48.958s
9. Leon Camier GBR Fixi Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 48.147s
10. Chaz Davies GBR BMW GoldBet S1000RR HP4 1m 48.197s
11. Carlos Checa ESP Alstare Ducati 1199 R 1m 48.249s
12. Leon Haslam GBR Pata Honda CBR1000RR 1m 48.485s
13. Jules Cluzel FRA Fixi Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 49.620s
14. Loris Baz FRA Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 48.668s
15. Max Neukirchner GER MR Ducati 1199 R 1m 49.863s