Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) completed another resounding 1-2 result at Donington Park over the weekend. The reigning champion won the opening race after a titanic battle with team-mate Loris Baz, with a three way fight in race two between Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team), Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) and Sykes, with Sykes eventually edging the victory and taking with it the championship lead.
Fighting back from a disastrous start Sykes gradually clawed back the deficit to claim his 17th career victory ahead of the young Frenchman with fellow Brit Alex Lowes (Voltcom Crescent Suzuki) taking a well deserved third at the flag.
Davide Giugliano (Ducati Superbike Team) crashed out of the leading group on the 16th lap leaving the two Kawasaki’s to fight it out, much to the delight of the crowd.
Marco Melandri (Aprilia Racing Team) was a lonely fourth ahead of Chaz Davies (Ducati Superbike Team) and Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike Team).
David Salom (Kawasaki Racing Team) was classified as the first of the EVO riders to be classified, finishing in 10th overall.
Christian Iddon (Team Alstare Bimota) and Eugene Laverty (Voltcom Crescent Suzuki) crashed out of contention early on, thankfully without injury.
Results – Race 1
1. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 23 laps
2. Loris Baz FRA Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R +1.538s
3. Alex Lowes GBR Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 +6.394s
4. Marco Melandri ITA Aprilia Racing RSV4 +11.875s
5. Chaz Davies GBR Ducati SBK 1199 Panigale R +14.514s
6. Jonathan Rea GBR PATA Honda CBR1000RR +14.708
7. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Aprilia Racing RSV4 +18.482s
8. Leon Haslam GBR PATA Honda CBR1000RR +29.295s
9. Toni Elias ESP Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 +31.291s
10. David Salom ESP Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R +46.953 (E)
11. Niccolo Canepa ITA Althea Ducati 1199 Panigale R +47.170s (E)
12. Fabien Foret FRA MAHI Kawasaki ZX-10R +1m 02.583s (E)
13. Jeremy Guarnoni FRA MRS Kawasaki ZX-10R +1m 06.195s (E)
14. Alessandro Andreozzi ITA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R +1m 06.195s (E)
15. Claudio Corti ITA MV Agusta RC F4RR +1m 12.643s ….. etc
Race two at Donington Park was once again a close encounter with the leading bunch of riders locked together until a clash between Alex Lowes (Voltcom Crescent Suzuki) and Marco Melandri (Aprilia Racing Team) at the Melbourne Hairpin split the group.
The 23 lap race then saw a three way fight between Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team), Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) and race one winner Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) with Sykes eventually edging the victory and taking with it the championship lead.
Just as in race one Loris Baz took second position with Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) taking the last podium place after a much stronger second race for the Frenchman.
Davide Giugliano (Ducati Superbike Team) recovered from his crash earlier to claim fourth. Chaz Davies (Ducati Superbike Team) was a lonely fifth ahead of Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike Team) who finished sixth.
David Salom added to the celebrations for Kawasaki in the EVO category, by once again being the best classified rider, finishing a credible 10th overall.
Aaron Yates (Team Hero EBR) and Eugene Laverty (Voltcom Crescent Suzuki) fell before half distance, neither rider sustaining any injury. Laverty however was able to remount and salvage 3 points.
As in the opening race, Leon Camier (BMW Motorrad Italia) and Geoff May (Team Hero EBR) were not on the grid, Camier nursing an injury sustained in yesterday’s Tissot-Superpole, May unable to take part due to an ongoing technical problem.
Results – Race 2
1. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 23 laps
2. Loris Baz FRA Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R +3.678s
3. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Aprilia Racing RSV4 +7.376s
4. Davide Giugliano ITA Ducati SBK 1199 Panigale R +10.827s
5. Chaz Davies GBR Ducati SBK 1199 Panigale R +15.140s
6. Jonathan Rea GBR PATA Honda CBR1000RR +17.975s
7. Leon Haslam GBR PATA Honda CBR1000RR +33.737s
8. Toni Elias ESP Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 +40.362s
9. Alex Lowes GBR Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 +41.465s
10. David Salom ESP Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R +48.929s (E)
11. Niccolo Canepa ITA Althea Ducati 1199 Panigale R +49.229s (E)
12. Claudio Corti ITA MV Agusta RC F4RR +57.984s
13. Eugene Laverty IRL Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 +1m 00.751s
14. Jeremy Guarnoni FRA MRS Kawasaki ZX-10R +1m 01.697s (E)
15. Alessandro Andreozzi ITA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R +1m 03.349s (E) ….. etc
1 Tom Sykes Kawasaki Racing Team 185
2 Loris Baz Kawasaki Racing Team 159
3 Jonathan Rea PATA Honda 159
4 Sylvain Guintoli Aprilia Racing 148
5 Chaz Davies Ducati SBK 109
6 Marco Melandri Aprilia Racing 97
7 Davide Giugliano Ducati SBK 82
8 Leon Haslam PATA Honda 75
9 Alex Lowes Voltcom Crescent Suzuki 73
10 Toni Elias Red Devils Roma Aprilia 65
11 Eugene Laverty Voltcom Crescent Suzuki 65
12 David Salom Kawasaki Racing Team (E) 46
13 Niccolo Canepa Althea Ducati (E) 38
14 Leon Camier BMW Italia (E) 20
15 Luca Scassa Pedercini Kawasaki (E) 16 ….. etc
World Supersport – Van Der Mark wins last lap thriller
After a thrilling 20 lap World Supersport race at Donington Park, Michael van der Mark (Pata Honda World Supersport Team) has taken his second win of the season after a tense final three corners saw him fend off Jules Cluzel (MV Agusta RC-Yakhnich Motorsport).
Kev Coghlan (DMC-Panavto Yamaha) was back on the podium, taking the final place on the rostrum after being in the leading fight until the closing stages.
Former World Champion Kenan Sofuoglu (Mahi Team India Kawasaki) suffered another technical problem while leading but unlike in recent races the Turk was able to bring his machine home in fourth at the flag, unlike Lorenzo Zanetti (Pata Honda World Supersport Team) who retired after his engine let go at Coppice Corner while the Italian was fighting for the lead.
Florian Marino (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) was classified fifth after working his way through the field from his lowly grid position. His team mate PJ Jacobsen was sixth.
Wildcard rider Sam Hornsey (Anvil Hire TAG Triumph) finished a respectable 16th overall.
1. Michael van der Mark NED PATA Honda CBR600RR 20 laps
2. Jules Cluzel FRA MV Agusta Yakhnich F3 675 +0.144s
3. Kev Coghlan GBR DMC Panavto Yamaha YZF-R6 +1.266s
4. Kenan Sofuoglu TUR Mahi India Kawasaki ZX-6R +1.556s
5. Florian Marino FRA Kawasaki Intermoto ZX-6R +7.472s
6. PJ Jacobsen USA Kawasaki Intermoto ZX-6R +10.557s
7. Jack Kennedy IRL CIA Insurance Honda CBR600RR +13.952s
8. Roberto Tamburini ITA San Carlo Puccetti Kawasaki ZX-6R +14.783s
9. Raffaele de Rosa ITA Core PTR Honda CBR600RR +15.363s
10. Roberto Rolfo ITA GO Eleven Kawasaki ZX-6R +16.585s …..etc
WSS Championship standings
1 Michael van der Mark PATA Honda 90
2 Florian Marino Ponyexpres Intermoto Kawasaki 76
3 Jules Cluzel MV Agusta RC Yakhnich 62
4 Kev Coghlan DMC Panavto Yamaha 60
5 Lorenzo Zanetti PATA Honda 49
6 Raffaele de Rosa Core PTR Honda 45
7 Kenan Sofuoglu MAHI Kawasaki 38
8 Roberto Tamburini San Carlo Puccetti Kawasaki 37
9 Roberto Rolfo GO Eleven Kawasaki 36
10 PJ Jacobsen Ponyexpres Intermoto Kawasaki 32 …..etc