The penultimate round of the 2014 eni World Superbike Championship at Magny-Cours, France has gone to Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team), courtesy of a circuit best lap of 1.36.366 after a fast and furious session saw the top spot change repeatedly in the final minutes.
In Superpole 1 it was Frenchman Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) who set the fastest time of the weekend during the session, moving into the final 15 minute shoot-out along with Max Neukirchner (3C Racing Team) who also progressed joining the already seeded top ten riders after FP1, FP2 and FP3.
Alongside Sykes on the front row tomorrow will be Davide Giugliano (Ducati Superbike Team) and Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike Team) who kept his title hopes alive by making it onto the front row.
Row two comprises the second Ducati Superbike Team entry of Chaz Davies, and the Aprilia Racing duo of Sylvain Guintoli and Marco Melandri.
The best classified EVO rider was Sylvain Barrier (BMW Motorrad Italia) who will start both 21 lap races from 13th on the grid. The Frenchman narrowly missing out on moving into Superpole 2.
EVO championship leader David Salom (Kawasaki Racing Team) rode through the pain barrier after an FP4 tumble to salvage 7th in Superpole 1 meaning a 17th position grid slot for both races tomorrow.
Fabien Foret (Team Pedercini) will begin his final WSBK races from 20th on the grid.
Full Superpole qualifying results
1. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 36.366s
2. Davide Giugliano ITA Ducati SBK 1199 Panigale R 1m 36.593s
3. Jonathan Rea GBR PATA Honda CBR1000RR 1m 36.906s
4. Chaz Davies GBR Ducati SBK 1199 Panigale R 1m 37.021s
5. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Aprilia Racing RSV4 1m 37.184s
6. Marco Melandri ITA Aprilia Racing RSV4 1m 37.190s
7. Loris Baz FRA Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 37.215s
8. Alex Lowes GBR Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 37.270s
9. Eugene Laverty IRL Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 37.407s
10. Leon Haslam GBR PATA Honda CBR1000RR 1m 37.575s
11. Xavi Fores ESP 3C Ducati SBK 1199 Panigale R 1m 37.673s
12. Max Neukirchner GER 3C Ducati SBK 1199 Panigale R 1m 37.877s
Grid positions determined by SP1
13. Sylvain Barrier FRA BMW Italia S1000RR 1m 38.415s (E)
14. Toni Elias ESP Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 1m 38.621s
15. Lorenzo Lanzi ITA 3C Ducati SBK 1199 Panigale R 1m 38.883s
16. Niccolo Canepa ITA Althea Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1m 39.367s (E)
17. David Salom ESP Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 39.452s (E)
18. Claudio Corti ITA MV Agusta RC F4RR 1m 39.518s
19. Sheridan Morais RSA IRON BRAIN Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 39.701s (E)
20. Fabien Foret FRA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 39.850s (E)
Did not progress to Superpole
21. Jeremy Guarnoni FRA MRS Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 40.427s (E)
22. Alessandro Andreozzi ITA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 40.926s (E)
23. Bryan Staring AUS IRON BRAIN Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 41.181s (E)
24. Geoff May USA Team Hero EBR 1190RX 1m 42.051s
25. Aaron Yates USA Team Hero EBR 1190RX 1m 42.406s
26. Imre Toth HUN Team Toth BMW S1000RR 1m 42.470s
27. Gabor Rizmayer HUN Team Toth BMW S1000RR 1m 43.023s (E)
28. Nicolas Salchaud FRA Dream Team MV Agusta RC F4RR 1m 44.559s
Magny-Cours official WSBK lap records
Best lap: Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 36.366s (2014)
Race lap record: Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 38.345s (2013)