Team Suzuki’s Wayne Maxwell (above) will start from pole position for the QBE Australian Superbike Championship races, after setting a new best lap of 1.06.997 in today’s Superpole at Hidden Valley Raceway.
Maxwell, who was the only rider to break into the 1m.06’s will be joined on the front row of the grid by his teammate, Team Volvo Suzuki rider Robbie Bugden and Team Honda Racing rider Jamie Stauffer.
The championship leader dominated today’s sessions and said while he wanted to take a clean sweep at Hidden Valley he wouldn’t his championship
“The GSXR worked awesome in the hot conditions,” Maxwell said. “The track temperature was over 55 degrees so I asked a lot of that Dunlop tyre to be the first man into the 6’s.
“I couldn’t be happier and to take my first pole for Team Suzuki and reward the guys is fantastic. We are now one race clear, but we will just take it as we have so far this weekend, session-by-session and race-by-race.
“We have a warm-up and two races to go, it would be nice to get my first proper clean sweep but if it is risky we will have to play smart and think championship,” Maxwell continued.
While the fastest lap of the Motul Supersport Superpole was set by Aaron Morris, championship leader Daniel Falzon will start from the number one grid spot. Morris was penalised one grid position due to a machine eligibility issue.
Morris will start from second on the grid with fellow Yamaha rider Mike Jones rounding out the front row.
Falzon said he was surprised to get his lap times down into the 1m.09s.
“I am very happy with our Superpole result,” Falzon said. “To be starting from pole position on my favourite track is just awesome. I’m surprised by my time. To go 1.09.391 is much faster than I thought we would go this weekend.
“It is fantastic to be racing alongside Supercross I never get to see it myself so I am really enjoying it.
Kawasaki rider Matt Walters led home Next Gen Motorsports Ben Nicholson in today’s opening Prostock race. Walters set a new race lap record of 1.08.337 and has extended his championship lead.
The sixth round of the QBE Australian Superbike Championship will conclude at Hidden Valley Raceway tomorrow.
QBE Australian Superbike Superpole Results – Round 6 Hidden Valley
1. Wayne MAXWELL (VIC) 1:06.997
2. Robert BUGDEN (QLD) 1:07.227
3. Jamie STAUFFER (NSW) 1:07.310
4. Glenn ALLERTON (NSW) 1:07.383
5. Josh HOOK (NSW) 1:07.757
6. Glenn SCOTT (NSW) 1:08.317
7. Linden MAGEE (QLD) 1:08.955
8. Beau BEATON (Suzuki) 1:08.998
9. Ben HENRY (Suzuki) 1:28.278
10. Phil LOVETT (Kawaski) 1:09.697 ….etc
Motul Supersport Superpole Results
1. Daniel FALZON (Yamaha) 1:09.391
2. .Aaron MORRIS (Yamaha) 1:09.221
3. Mike JONES (Yamaha) 1:09.665
4. Aiden WAGNER (Yamaha) 1:10.129
5. Callum SPRIGGS (Yamaha) 1:10.210
6. Mason COOTE (Yamaha)1:10.754
7. Chris QUINN (Yamaha) 1:10.950
8. Michael BLAIR (Yamaha) 1:10.981
9. Aaron GOBERT (Yamaha)1:11.422
10. Ryan TAYLOR (Yamaha) 1:11.663 ….etc
*Images courtesy of Keith Muir