In perfect conditions at the Monster Energy Grand Prix de France Jack Miller (Red Bull KTM Ajo) took victory in another exciting Moto3 contest, with Alex Rins (Estrella Galicia 0,0) and Isaac Viñales (Calvo Team) joining him on the Le Mans podium.
This is Miller’s third victory of the season and he extends the championship lead by 30 points ahead of Romano Fenati and Efren Vazquez.
An absolutely brilliant race which saw eight riders in podium contention on the last lap with Miller holding off a challenge from pole man Efren Vazquez (SAXOPRINT RTG) in the final stages to secure his third win of the year. Vazquez left angry after being squeezed by Miller during their battle for the lead with a few turns to go.
Rins led by almost two seconds at one point but was eventually pulled back for second, with Viñales riding bravely to achieve his first ever Grand Prix podium result.
Francesco Bagnaia (SKY Racing Team VR46) and Alex Marquez (Estrella Galicia 0,0) were both in the top five, both within 0.5s of the podium.
Vazquez had also led the race at various points and was unhappy to finish sixth when a first ever victory looked possible.
Enea Bastianini (Junior Team Go&FUN Moto3), John McPhee (SAXOPRINT RTG), Alexis Masbou (Ongetta-Rivacold) and Jakub Kornfeil (Calvo Team) completed the top ten.
Juanfran Guevara (Mapfre Aspar Team Moto3), Karel Hanika (Red Bull KTM Ajo), Jules Danilo (Ambrogio Racing) and Niccolo Antonelli (Junior Team GO&FUN) all crashed out in the early laps, whilst there were also DNFs for Alessandro Tonucci (CIP Mahindra) and Niklas Ajo (Avant Tecno Husqvarna Ajo).
1. Jack Miller AUS Red Bull KTM Ajo (KTM) 41m 30.582s
2. Alex Rins SPA Estrella Galicia 0,0 (Honda) 41m 30.677s
3. Isaac Viñales SPA Calvo Team (KTM) 41m 30.812s
4. Francesco Bagnaia ITA SKY Racing Team VR46 (KTM) 41m 31.069s
5. Alex Marquez SPA Estrella Galicia 0,0 (Honda) 41m 31.513s
6. Efren Vazquez SPA SaxoPrint-RTG (Honda) 41m 31.522s
7. Enea Bastianini ITA Junior Team GO&FUN Moto3 (KTM) 41m 31.608s
8. John McPhee GBR SaxoPrint-RTG (Honda) 41m 31.803s
9. Alexis Masbou FRA Ongetta-Rivacold (Honda) 41m 32.157s
10. Jakub Kornfeil CZE Calvo Team (KTM) 41m 32.755s
11. Zulfahmi Khairuddin MAL Ongetta-AirAsia (Honda) 41m 42.422s
12. Miguel Oliveira POR Mahindra Racing (Mahindra) 41m 45.086s
13. Danny Kent GBR Red Bull Husqvarna Ajo (Husqvarna) 41m 45.226s
14. Brad Binder RSA Ambrogio Racing (Mahindra) 41m 45.552s
15. Philipp Oettl GER Interwetten Paddock Moto3 (Kalex-KTM) 41m 52.808s
16. Hafiq Azmi MAL SIC-AJO (KTM) 41m 53.523s
17. Arthur Sissis AUS Mahindra Racing (Mahindra) 42m 4.866s
18. Luca Grünwald GER Kiefer Racing (Kalex-KTM) 42m 7.077s
19. Bryan Schouten NED CIP (Mahindra) 42m 7.192s
20. Livio Loi BEL Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex-KTM) 42m 7.881s
21. Matteo Ferrari ITA San Carlo Team Italia (Mahindra) 42m 10.772s
22. Ana Carrasco SPA RW Racing GP (Kalex-KTM) 42m 22.821s
23. Michael Ruben Rinaldi ITA San Carlo Team Italia (Mahindra) 42m 28.310s
24. Gabriel Ramos VEN Kiefer Racing (Kalex-KTM) 42m 30.281s
25. Scott Deroue NED RW Racing GP (Kalex-KTM) +1 lap
Championship standings (top 10)
1 Jack MILLER KTM 104
2 Romano FENATI KTM 74
3 Efren VAZQUEZ Honda 72
4 Alex RINS Honda 71
5 Alex MARQUEZ Honda 60
6 Isaac VINALES KTM 44
7. Jakub KORNFEILKTM 37
8. Francesco BAGNAIA KTM 36
9. Alexis MASBOU Honda 35
10 Danny KENT Husqvarna 26