Davide Giugliano (Ducati Superbike Team) has taken pole position in wet and treacherous conditions at Donington Park. Joining him on the front row will be Leon Haslam (Pata Honda WSBK) and Marco Melandri (Aprilia Racing Team).
Giugliano’s lap time of 1min 44.903secs was enough to secure him pole, despite a fall in the closing seconds of the session. Giugliano has dedicated his second career World Superbike Championship pole position to the late Andrea Antonelli.
The second row comprises Alex Lowes (Voltcom Crescent Suzuki), Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing) and Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing).
Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing) will start from seventh on the grid ahead of Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda) and Toni Elias (Red Devils Roma Aprilia). Sykes doesn’t think it isn’t ‘as bad as it looks’ after a necessary set-up change lost him the chance to improve, while Rea made a costly mistake resulting in a fall in the latter stages of the session.
Bryan Staring has been forced to delay his World Superbike debut with the IRON BRAIN Grillini Kawasaki team after injuring his arm at Donington Park. The Australian, who has come into the Italian team to replace Michel Fabrizio, has been contending with an arm injury throughout the weekend, but after struggling on the first day of competition, the decision was taken to focus on full fitness for Sepang.
1. Davide Giugliano ITA Ducati SBK 1199 Panigale R 1m 44.903s
2. Leon Haslam GBR PATA Honda CBR1000RR 1m 45.009s
3. Marco Melandri ITA Aprilia Racing RSV4 1m 45.111s
4. Alex Lowes GBR Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 45.258s
5. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Aprilia Racing RSV4 1m 45.839s
6. Loris Baz FRA Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 46.058s
7. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 46.241s
8. Jonathan Rea GBR PATA Honda CBR1000RR 1m 46.306s
9. Toni Elias ESP Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 1m 46.326s
10. Eugene Laverty IRL Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 47.963s
11. Chaz Davies GBR Ducati SBK 1199 Panigale R 1m 50.099s
12. Ayrton Badovini ITA Bimota Alstare BB3 No Time (E)
13. Christian Iddon GBR Bimota Alstare BB3 1m 49.541s (E)
14. Claudio Corti ITA MV Agusta RC F4RR 1m 49.961s
15. Alessandro Andreozzi ITA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 50.509s (E)
16. Niccolo Canepa ITA Althea Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1m 51.062s (E)
17. David Salom ESP Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 53.656s (E)
18. Leon Camier GBR BMW Italia S1000RR No Time (E)
19. Fabien Foret FRA MAHI Kawasaki ZX-10R No Time (E)
20. Jeremy Guarnoni FRA MRS Kawasaki ZX-10R No Time (E)
Grid positions previously determined by FP3
21. Romain Lanusse FRA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 48.929s (E)
22. Sheridan Morais RSA IRON BRAIN Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 43.748s (E)
23. Imre Toth HUN Team Toth BMW S1000RR 1m 45.406s
24. Aaron Yates USA Team Hero EBR 1190RX 1m 46.475s
25. Geoff May USA Team Hero EBR 1190RX No Time
26. Peter Sebestyen HUN Team Toth BMW S1000RR 1m 47.038s (E)
27. Bryan Staring AUS IRON BRAIN Kawasaki ZX-10R No Time (E)
After an exciting yet crash filled session it was Michael van der Mark (Pata Honda World Supersport Team) who claimed pole position ahead of Kenan Sofuoglu (Mahi Team India Kawasaki) and Kev Coghlan (DMC-Panavto Yamaha) for tomorrow’s 20 lap race.
PJ Jacobsen (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpress), Marco Bussolotti (Lorini Honda) and Alessandro Nocco (San Carlo Puccetti Kawasaki) will make up row 2.
Jack Kennedy fell victim to the conditions on his first flying lap, losing control of his CIA Insurance Honda at McLeans corner but was able to remount and return to the garage, giving his mechanics some work to do.
Fabio Menghi (VFT Racing Yamaha) slid off at the fast Starkeys sections and was taken to the medical centre for precautionary checks while Tony Covena (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpress) also crashed at the infamous McLeans corner.
Raffaele de Rosa (CIA Insurance Honda) joined the ever growing list of fallers, high siding at the final turn. His team-mate Nacho Calero also had an off track moment but was able to keep his Honda on two wheels before he too came to grief at Coppice with 15 minutes to go.
Florian Marino (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpress) was a mid-session faller at the esses, the current joint leader of the series thankfully able to walk away unhurt. Fellow Frenchman Jules Cluzel (MV Agusta RC-Yakhnich Motorsport) fell in the final five minutes at Goddards as Fraser Rogers (SMS Complus Honda) and Alessandro Nocco (San Carlo Puccetti Kawasaki) both fell at McLeans.
Qualifying (Top 10)
1. Michael van der Mark NED PATA Honda CBR600RR 1m 46.220s
2. Kenan Sofuoglu TUR Mahi India Kawasaki ZX-6R 1m 46.982s
3. Kev Coghlan GBR DMC Panavto Yamaha YZF-R6 1m 47.932s
4. PJ Jacobsen USA Kawasaki Intermoto ZX-6R 1m 48.158s
5. Marco Bussolotti ITA Lorini Honda CBR600RR 1m 48.515s
6. Alessandro Nocco ITA San Carlo Puccetti Kawasaki ZX-6R 1m 48.635s
7. Lorenzo Zanetti ITA PATA Honda CBR600RR 1m 49.102s
8. Jules Cluzel FRA MV Agusta Yakhnich F3 675 1m 49.579s
9. Riccardo Russo ITA Lorini Honda CBR600RR 1m 49.702s
10. Sam Hornsey ITA ANVIL Hire TAG Kawasaki ZX-6R 1m 49.909s …