Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing Aprilia) scored his first ever Tissot-Superpole win today at Moscow Raceway. The Italian’s lap time was 1’34.676 to secure first place ahead of Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet) and Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team).
BMW Factory rider Chaz Davies claimed his best ever qualifying result, while team-mate Marco Melandri will start from fifth position behind Jonathan Rea on his GBR Pata Honda.
Chaz Davies: “I am very happy. The result confirms the steps that we have taken all weekend have been right. We made the turning a little bit better and now I feel like I can actually force the front to turn rather than the bike deciding where it wants to go. We made some changes that have really helped. I felt that I did not make the best lap, I lost a couple of tenths here and there, maybe enough to keep me off from pole but to get there you have to put it all together and I did not. But still I am very satisfied with the front row and am looking forward to the races.”
The biggest surprise in today’s Tissot-Superpole was the crash suffered by Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) in the third session, at Turn 3, that put an end to his pole position streak after six consecutive wins and will force the Brit to move off from an unusual 9th place.
Tom Sykes: “I just lost the front at the very last moment in turn three. It is a shame but sometimes these things happen. It is a small mistake and it means that we will start on row three, so it is a mistake with not a very big consequence. In this respect it is not so bad and tomorrow, in the races, is where you make up points. I am still confident with the settings of the Ninja ZX-10R for this track.”
Carlos Checa (Team Ducati Alstare) slots into fifth spot after a huge crash in Qualifying 2. The indomitable Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team), still dealing with a dislocated right collarbone, did his best to obtain an impressive eighth place, behind fellow Frenchman Jules Cluzel (FIXI Crescent Suzuki).
1. Davide Giugliano ITA Althea Aprilia RSV4 1m 34.676s
2. Chaz Davies GBR BMW GoldBet S1000RR HP4 1m 34.833s
3. Eugene Laverty IRL Aprilia Racing RSV4 1m 34.934s
4. Jonathan Rea GBR Pata Honda CBR1000RR 1m 35.058s
5. Marco Melandri ITA BMW GoldBet S1000RR HP4 1m 35.115s
6. Carlos Checa ESP Alstare Ducati 1199 R 1m 35.220s
7. Jules Cluzel FRA Fixi Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 35.256s
8. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Aprilia Racing RSV4 1m 36.113s
9. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R No Time
10. Leon Camier GBR Fixi Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 35.761s
11. Max Neukirchner GER MR Ducati 1199 R 1m 45.788s
12. Loris Baz FRA Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 36.033s
13. Leon Haslam GBR Pata Honda CBR1000RR 1m 36.069s
14. Ayrton Badovini ITA Alstare Ducati 1199 R 1m 36.286s
15. Michel Fabrizio ITA Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 1m 36.329s