Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) claimed Pole Position at Jerez after an intense Tissot-Superpole second session where he recorded the new best lap of the track for the Superbike class in 1’40.298, beating the previous record by 0.322s.
Davide Giugliano (Ducati Superbike Team) and Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) will join Baz on the front row for the two 20 lap races tomorrow. The top-3 riders were awarded with the Tissot-Superpole trophies by 2011 Superbike World Champion Carlos Checa. Row two will see the Aprilia Racing duo of Marco Melandri and Sylvain Guintoli as well as Eugene Laverty (Voltcom Crescent Suzuki) who was 6th.
Alex Lowes crashed his Voltcom Crescent Suzuki at turn two in the final 30 seconds and will start 9th behind Chaz Davies (Ducati Superbike Team, 7th) and Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike, 8th), and ahead of other Pata Honda rider Jonathan Rea.
The accolade of being the fastest of the EVO qualifiers went to Sylvain Barrier (BMW Motorrad Italia) who will start tomorrow’s races from 12th on the grid despite falling at turn 6 with two minutes to go.
Superpole 1 saw Sylvain Barrier (BMW Motorrad Italia) posting an incredible lap of 1.41.768s, a time that would have put him 3rd overall on the pre-Superpole classification. Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike Team) also made it through to Superpole 2 with his fastest lap of the weekend where they joined the automatically seeded top ten riders after free practice.
Superpole Qualifying Results (2)
1. Loris Baz FRA Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 40.298s
2. Davide Giugliano ITA Ducati SBK 1199 Panigale R 1m 40.533s
3. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 40.561s
4. Marco Melandri ITA Aprilia Racing RSV4 1m 40.822s
5. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Aprilia Racing RSV4 1m 40.877s
6. Eugene Laverty IRL Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 41.092s
7. Chaz Davies GBR Ducati SBK 1199 Panigale R 1m 41.199s
8. Leon Haslam GBR PATA Honda CBR1000RR 1m 41.338s
9. Alex Lowes GBR Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 41.421s
10. Jonathan Rea GBR PATA Honda CBR1000RR 1m 41.447s
11. Toni Elias ESP Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 1m 41.882s
12. Sylvain Barrier FRA BMW Italia S1000RR 1m 42.928s (E)
Grid positions determined by SP1
13. David Salom ESP Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 42.329s (E)
14. Niccolo Canepa ITA Althea Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1m 42.356s (E)
15. Alessandro Andreozzi ITA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 42.622s (E)
16. Sheridan Morais RSA IRON BRAIN Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 43.380s (E)
17. Jeremy Guarnoni FRA MRS Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 43.628s (E)
18. Bryan Staring AUS IRON BRAIN Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 43.640s (E)
19. Claudio Corti ITA MV Agusta RC F4RR 1m 43.651s
20. Imre Toth HUN Team Toth BMW S1000RR 1m 44.633s
Did not progress to Superpole
21. Geoff May USA Team Hero EBR 1190RX 1m 45.693s
22. Gabor Rizmayer HUN Team Toth BMW S1000RR 1m 45.740s (E)
24. Aaron Yates USA Team Hero EBR 1190RX 1m 45.929s
23. Luca Scassa ITA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 47.525s (E)