Glenn Allerton’s domination of the QBE Australian Superbike Championship has continued today, with the BMW rider heading the time sheets in both of today’s practice sessions at Queensland Raceway.
Allerton used the first practice session to reacquaint himself with the 3.12km track and topped the session with a time of 1.09.071. The NextGen Motorsports rider shaved nearly a second off that time in the second session, recording 1.08.183 before the chequered flag fell.
“I am really happy with how we went today,” Allerton said. “I had a good day first session, we had to get our heads around the track again and it was quite slippery.
“In that last session we started on an old tyre and did some good laps then put a new tyre on to see how the bike reacted. To be honest I was surprised when it was a 1.08.183 because while I felt it was a neat tidy lap I didn’t feel that I was over cooking it and trying too hard.
“We have a good package right now with the Pirelli tyres and the BMW HP4 and it shows on a day like today when I didn’t feel like I was in the best shape I had been in but I did a nice smooth tidy lap and 8.1 is a pretty special time,” Allerton concluded.
Volvo Group Suzuki’s Robbie Bugden was second quickest in both sessions with teammate Wayne Maxwell recovering from a crash in the opening session to set the third fastest time in the final Superbike practice of the day.
After crashing in testing last week, Team Honda Racings Jamie Stauffer is still working his way back to full fitness and ended today’s practice sessions sixth fastest on combined results.
In the Motul Supersport class Jon Daniels Racing’s Daniel Falzon piped rival Chris Quinn to top spot in both practice sessions. The Yamaha rider made some significant gains but said the team had a bit of work to do before tomorrows qualifying.
“The day panned out quite well for us,” Falzon said “I was very happy to come away with the top spot in both sessions. We had a few small issues with the bike balance which we will work on tonight.”
QBE Superbike Practice, Queensland Raceway, Merged Results
1. Glenn ALLERTON (NSW) / NextGen Motorsports / Dynotech / Maxima / BMW HP4, 1:08.183
2. Robert BUGDEN (QLD) / Team Volvo Group Suzuki, Suzuki GSX-R, 1:08.804
3. Wayne MAXWELL (VIC) / Team Suzuki Suzuki GSX-R, 1:09.262
4. Linden MAGEE (QLD) / NextGen Motorsports / Dynotech / Maxima / BMW, BMW S RR, 1:09.832
5. Josh HOOK (NSW) / Team Honda Racing / Motologic / Vantage, Honda CBR RR, 1:09.835
6. Jamie STAUFFER (NSW) / Team Honda Racing / Motologic / Vantage, Honda CBR RR, 1:09.957
7. Chas HERN (VIC) / CM Racing / Pope Building Services / High Octane M-cycles, Suzuki GSX-R, 1:10.185
8. Beau BEATON (NSW) / Racers Edge Perform. / Suzuki Aust. / PTR / Verngraham, Suzuki GSX-R, 1:10.245
9. Glenn SCOTT (NSW) / Team Insure My Ride Racing / Myotrade, Honda CBR RR, 1:10.799
10. Ben HENRY (QLD) / Cube Racing / Australian Outdoor Living / Underground Designs, Suzuki GSX-R, 1:10.959
Motul Supersport Practice, Queensland Raceway, Merged Results
1. Daniel FALZON (SA) / Caterpillar / EPSA / Yamaha, Yamaha YZF-R6, 1:12.740
2. Chris QUINN (NSW) / Coopers Pale Ale / Holmes Extractive Resources, Yamaha YZF-R6 1:12.856
3. Ryan TAYLOR (VIC) / Pirelli / Motul / SW Racing / YRD, Yamaha YZF-R61:13.130
4. Michael BLAIR (NSW) / Blairbuild / YRD / JoeGroot Civil / Finson, Yamaha YZF-R6, 1:13.506
5. Brendan CLARKE (QLD) / Champion’s Ride Days / Child’s Dream, Honda CBR RR. 1:13.552
6. Luke BURGESS (QLD) / Mackay Kawasaki / Kawasaki Aust. / Tomsey Racing / KMF Kawasaki ZX6R, 1:13.562
7. Callum SPRIGGS (QLD) / YRD / Allsite Concrete Cutting / XXX Rated Suspension Yamaha YZF-R6 1:13.938
8. Kyle BUCKLEY (QLD) / LAE Racing / XXX Rated Susp. / Motorcycle Accessory Shop Yamaha YZF-R6 1:13.955
9. Hudson PITT (SA) / CM Racing / All Bake Services / Underground Designs Suzuki GSX-R 1:13.964
10. Aaron GOBERT (NSW) / WNR Kawasaki / Dunlop / Alpinestars / Bell Helmets / Dyno Test Kawasaki ZX6R 1:14.083